Wednesday, May 2, 2018

100km on the clock


Last weekend I took part in a Dash training ride -- 100km to Gatwick and back from south London. I had proper palpitations from nerves drawing up to Pearson’s bike shop at the start. I’m way out of my comfort zone with this long distance cycling thing, and am terrified that I don’t have it in me. This was my first serious test.

The fellow Dashers were very welcoming. There were about a dozen of us – a mixture of returners and newbies like me.  There was a wide age and ability range which was reassuring. We split into two groups, with RP and I and a number of others in the slower group, and set off.

Ride captains led each group, with more at the back of the pack to encourage the slower cyclists and help out with any bike issues. They were very helpful when my chain fell off for some reason about two thirds of the way round! I am clueless about bike mechanics and I’m not sure mid-Dash is the time to learn so it’s great riding with knowledgeable people.  It was also a real relief not to have to think about where I was going, and just follow the pack.

Still smiling - but only just

How was the ride? It was really, really hard. The good news is that I had no bottom bone pain (either I have a really comfortable saddle, or my natural attributes provide sufficient padding). I forgot to put any chamois cream on, but it turns out I didn’t need any. But pretty much everything else hurt by the end.

It started pretty flat, and you could cycle and chat to other Dashers, and for a while I thought there might be the chance that I could enjoy the ride to Paris in just over a month’s time. I kept up pretty well with everyone until the route started to get hilly.  CP kept shouting at me from the back to change down gears to make riding the inclines easier, but every time you shift down you see people in higher gears just speed ahead into the distance which is really disheartening.  Grinding through the pain of the uphills is pretty relentless and unpleasant. I’m told we were cycling through bluebell woods, but I barely lifted my eyes off the tarmac.  Then after the incline came the descent. While my tired thighs loved the break, going downhill had its own challenges. If I could have closed my eyes I would have done, as I found it pretty nerve-wracking belting down England country lanes at high speed.

It was a particularly cold (8C) and grey day, and I still haven’t worked out what’s best to wear. I had on a long and short sleeved cycling tops over my bib tights and a lightweight waterproof coat. I was sweltering on the uphills, but freezing on the long downhills as the wind evaporated the sweat.  Hopefully it won’t be that cold in June – but with the vagaries of the England summer who knows!

I had bought three muesli bars and a banana to eat on the way round. Turns out that cycling long distances makes you feel STARVING. I’d eaten all of it by the time I was two thirds of the way round. I’ve got to pack out my cycling top pockets with food next time. Luckily, on the Dash itself, each stop is fantastically well stocked with food and drink.

By the end (four hours in), every little incline knocked the wind out of me.  Our group became stretched out, and it became harder and harder for me to stay with the pack. I just fixed my eyes on the red light on the person in front’s bike and peddled and peddled, but boy it was hard. The ride has shown me just how far I still have to go. I have so much work to do in the next five weeks. Both in terms of fitness and strength. It’s pretty disheartening. But I got round – and that’s all I have to do at the event itself. I’m not going to win points for style. But I don’t want to – I just want to raise bundles of money to help Eli and his family. So, put a smile back on my face and please sponsor me if you haven’t – I’m only half way to reaching my total!

ACHIEVEMENTS

100km on a bike!!!!!

AMBITIONS

To cycle uphill without wanting to cry

To cycle downhill without wanting to scream

No comments:

Post a Comment