Friday, April 27, 2018

Thumb Strain


I had a heart stopping moment this week when the email came through to say that it’s 8 weeks until the ride. EIGHT WEEKS – aargh! I cannot believe that I can possibly cycle to Paris in 24 hours. I don’t feel in the slightest bit ready.  My longest ride to date is about 2 hours. I’ve signed up for a Dash Ride next  weekend – 100km – 4 to 5 hours (I’m pretty sure I’ll be in the 5 hour bracket). Everyone talks about toughening up your bum bones – this will be my chance.

My bike had a 6 week check up. They tightened up the gears a bit, They cleaned my disc brakes in an effort to stop them squeaking (which failed – but increasingly I think squeaky brakes are a good idea as it acts as an early warning system to any stray pedestrians). And they TIGHTENED MY CLEATS. I didn’t realise this until I cycled off and stopped at my first set of lights and had a serious wobble as I struggled to click out. I was overwhelmed with that same claustrophobic, crushing sense of fear that I had when I first got the road bike. It was awful. I returned to the shop and they showed me how to ease off the cleat a bit, so now I can adjust  then at will. And, on the new skills front, I am proud to report that I managed to eat a muesli bar while on the move!  The key to it is to cut the top off before you set off for the ride, so all you have to do is cram it into your mouth rather than try to bite through the plastic covering with your teeth.

RP and I are both struggling a little with the handlebars. We both bought women’s bikes, but it’s a real stretch reaching from the handlebars to the brakes. It would be alright if we were brave enough to hold onto the handlebars without hovering over the brakes – but that takes confidence we haven’t yet acquired. I had expected aching thighs and sore knees, but thumb strain has been an unexpected addition to the list!

ACHIEVEMENTS

Learning how to tighten/loosen cleats

AMBITIONS

To smile while cycling
To lift my eyes from the road and look around me

No comments:

Post a Comment