Friday, April 20, 2018

Wobbly Water Drinking


It’s been tough getting back into training after a week off.  The first couple of days back have been a  real slog. I feel heavy and sluggish after my cheese-heavy holiday. However, no one said this would be easy --  I have only myself to blame for signing up for the Dash.  And my own small personal sacrifice reminds me that every push of the pedal is for children and families with Duchenne who deal with much harder issues than I ever have to.


I am pleased to report that a major hurdle has been passed – I have managed to drink from my water bottle without stopping my bike. It was a nervewracking experience – particularly for the car behind watching with trepidation my wobbly and very slow progress as blindly felt for the bottle and raised it nervously to my lips. It’s a small but important step on my Dash journey! Next stop, trying to eat an energy bar on the move.


I have been on my longest ride yet – an 1 hour 40 minute going round and around a central London park with my bestie and fellow Duchenne Dash newbie RP. Apart from the windburn we received from the packs of skinny MAMILs zooming past us at speed it was a pleasant experience.  As the durations of the rides creep up, I’m discovering new aches and pains. For the first time I’m getting bum bone pain, and have been discussing the merits or not of changing to a gel saddle. I have yet to suffer the chafing that leads to the inevitable use of chamois cream, I’m clearly not cycling hard enough yet. I will keep you posted.


CP bought me a present - see through glasses. I fear this might be the first of a long list of slightly silly cycling equipment I may end up owning.  They look idiotic, but are really useful , particularly in the rain. Next stop arm skins?



 ACHIEVEMENTS

I can drink from a water bottle while moving – very slowly and wobbling a lot


AMBITIONS

Eating on the move
Standing up peddling
Using the bottom bit of the handlebars (CP says they’re called ‘the drops’)

PLEASE sponsor me if you haven't -- click on the DONATE HERE button on the right.



No comments:

Post a Comment