Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Morphing into a MAWIL



Reading the news in cleats

The elation of Brighton wore off quite quickly, but left me feeling a lot more hopeful about the ride to Paris. There are no hills like Ditchling Beacon to contend with thankfully – just hours and hours more cycling than I’ve ever done!

I’m still struggling to "make the drop". Apparently cycling downhill on the lower part of the handlebars is safer. For me, it’s faster (a big drawback for a nervous cyclist), and my reach is compromised so I struggle to grasp the brakes effectively (also a big drawback for a nervous cyclist). I’ve bought a new bit of slightly silly cycling equipment which might help with it – fingerless gloves.



A friend of mine didn’t recognise me as I sped past on the bike in padded big shorts, a cycling top with back pockets, and fingerless cycling gloves – I’m morphing into a MAMIL or MAWIL. The gloves have gel blocks built into the heel and bridge of the hand. I’m not convinced they do anything but CP insists they’re a must (sigh). Maybe they will help me with the sharp pains I’m experiencing up my arms – which are, perhaps, a sort of cycling RSI. Speaking to other cyclists they suggest I’m just hanging on for dear life too tightly and I need to relax my arms and take the weight off them. Easier said than done!

In my cycling I’m finding it challenging to balance efficiency and fear. I know that an efficient ride will make the journey to Paris much easier, but I hate hurtling down hill at speed so I don’t do “the drop”, and spend much of the downhill pulling on the brakes. On the flat CP has been trying to teach me to ride peloton style which is basically right up the bum of the cyclist in front. This means you benefit from their air stream and it takes less effort. But you really need to trust the rider and the roads. By which I mean -  trust that the rider in front isn’t going to suddenly swerve or break, which means relying on roads not to have potholes, dodgy manholes  or detritus on their surfaces. CP says the rider in front will do the cycling-hand-movements the MAMIL packs so love, to warn of any upcoming issues, so I can concentrate on staying close to their back wheel.  I’m just not a team player - I want to see clear road ahead of me and make my own mind up if it’s safe to ride.



Support from my colleagues by way of a personalised self ident to the news

Time is running out. It’s just over a fortnight til the ride. The end is in sight! I have a twinge in one knee, pains up my arms, and my legs are covered in bruises and oil from the cleats and chain. I just have to hope that no body part gives under the pressure before the ride.  I saw a reassuring/not reassuring at all tweet from one of the Dash doctors of the piles of medical equipment, pills and lotions ready for the ride. Hope I won’t need them!

 A big thank you to everyone who has sponsored me. I'm three quarters of the way to my target. If you can, please donate to my webpage!

ACHIEVEMENTS my first attempt at peloton riding

AMBITIONS to do the drop

No comments:

Post a Comment